martedì 18 aprile 2017

More than a thousand Palestinian prisoners begin hunger strike

They demand better prison conditions and an end to administrative detentions. Led by Marwan Barghouti, sentenced to life for murder during the second Intifada. For Bernard Sabella "it is the sign of a lack of political perspective" and stalling of international politics. Thousands of demonstrators in the West Bank in support of prisoners.
Exigen mejores condiciones carcelarias y el fin de las detenciones administrativas. En su guía Marwan Barghouti, condenado a cadena perpetua por asesinato atribuido durante la segunda Intifada. Para Bernard Sabella "es el signo de una falta de perspectiva política" y estancamiento de la política internacional. Miles de manifestantes en Cisjordania apoyan a los prisioneros.

para la traducción española clic aquí
per la traduzione in italiano clicca qui

Jerusalem (AsiaNews) - More than 1000 Palestinians have begun a hunger strike in opposition to the livin
g conditions in Israeli prisons. The demonstration is led by Palestinian leader Marwan Barghouti, 57, sentenced to five life sentences for murders committed during the second intifada. The date of the official start of the strike is not causal: April 17 is the "Day for Palestinian Prisoner", in which friends and relatives detained in jails are remembered. Hunger strikes are nothing new, but it is the first time to take part is such a significant number.
The demonstrative action had been announced the day before yesterday, after weeks of preparation, with 700 prisoners.
Barghouti was yesterday put in isolation. Israelis consider him bloodthirsty for his role in the al-Aqsa Intifada, Palestinians consider him a hero and sometimes refer to him as a potential successor to Mohammad Abbas, current president of the Palestinian National Authority.
Barghouti wrote an open letter to the New York Times, motivating the strike as the "most peaceful form of available resistance" against "arbitrary mass arrests and mistreatment of Palestinian prisoners."
According to the Israeli authorities, the number of participants is around 1187, while Issa Qaraqe, of the Palestinian Authority leadership says the number of prisoners are 1300. The Palestinian Prisoner Club NGO has a population of 1500.
The Palestinian prisoners - around 6500 (according to Palestinian sources 7 thousand) - is a major source of tension with Israel. They include 62 women and 300 minors. The Palestinians consider them political prisoners, although they are serving a sentence for a different kind of crimes: about 500 are being held in "administrative detention", a tool that allows Tel Aviv to hold suspects without charge for a period of six months.
The purpose of the protest is to ask for improvements in detention conditions, including more family visits;
the installation of public telephones in detention blocks; the closure of the service clinics in prisons in favor of medical care in hospitals; an end to detention without trial and isolation. As for the medical conditions, the strikers are also demanding the release of prisoners with disabilities or chronic illnesses. In addition, the Palestinian branch of the NGO Defense for Children International reported yesterday that more and more children are subjected to isolation for longer periods of time: in 2016, 25 minors were confined for an average 16 day period.
Interviewed by AsiaNews, Prof. Bernard Sabella, a Catholic, representative of Fatah in Jerusalem and Executive Secretary of service to the Council the Palestinian refugees of Middle Eastern Churches, said that the hunger strike is one of the consequences of the political situation: "Without a political solution, no peace between Palestinians and Israelis, what kind of condition of life can a Palestinian prisoner have? It is a sad and painful situation."
"The Palestinian prisoners are demanding better living conditions, to see their families, get medical care, better hygiene, all those who lack basic necessities," says Prof. Sabella. "It is also the political message that
we have no vision for the future. It is at a standstill. The international community, and various groups in Israel have their part to play. There is the 'disengagement', the absence of the international community, when you need to intervene in favor of dialogue. "
Today the Israeli minister for internal security Gilad Erdan announced to the military radio that Israel will not negotiate with the demonstrators: "They are terrorists and killers who are serving what they deserve and we have no reason to negotiate with them."
In the Penitentiary Regulation, the refusal of meals is a disciplinary offense which can result in withdrawal of privileges or disciplinary measures.
Abbas issued a statement supporting the strike, demanding the intervention of the international community.
The strike was also supported by demonstrations in different cities of the West Bank, particularly in Ramallah, where more than 2 thousand people marched in the main streets, and gathered in the square Yasser Arafat. The protesters showed pictures of their imprisoned Barghouti and other relatives, and several demonstrators announced that they wanted to join the strike.



lunedì 27 febbraio 2017

Standing Rock Camps Shut Down, But the Fight Against DAPL Isn’t Over

We remain in prayer. The Sacred Fire remains lit inside us.
Check out our latest blog post at ourchildrenaresacred.org about this week's militarized raid on treaty land. #NoDAPL
Permanecemos en la oración. El Fuego Sagrado permanece encendido dentro de nosotros.
Echa un vistazo a nuestra última entrada de blog en ourchildrenaresacred.org sobre la incursión militarizada de esta semana en tierras de tratado. #NoDAPL


This past Wednesday and Thursday, the Dakota Access Pipeline protest camps were cleared by more than 200 police officers in riot gear as part of an emergency evacuation order signed by North Dakota governor Doug Burgum. Many of the water protectors cleared out peacefully, and some set fire to their camps as a ceremonial act of defiance to destroy it themselves before law enforcement could.
Over the those two days, 46 water protectors who refused to comply with the evacuation were arrested, including a group of military veterans, reporting journalists, and even an Oglala grandmother named Regina Brave. Present at the occupation of Wounded Knee in 1973, Brave was also a vocal opponent to the Keystone XL pipeline in recent years.
Even when water protectors are leaving peacefully to move on to larger movements, North Dakota law enforcement proved once again that they cannot do their jobs without abusing their power. Arriving with armored vehicles, snipers and AR-15s is beyond extreme, especially against those whose only “crime” is just refusing to move or live streaming the eviction to Facebook, the latter being the case for Eric Poemz as he was chased by police in his live stream and can be heard saying his hip may have broken as he was forced to the ground.
This amount of law enforcement is unnecessary, especially when they go so far as to violate First Amendment rights and try to silence anyone who tries to publicize the truth.
After the camps were cleared, Energy Transfer Partners announced that they finished drilling under Lake Oahe and will begin laying down pipe. According to their attorney, William Shcerman, DAPL’s construction could be finished and begin flowing oil in less than two weeks.
Things are not getting any better at the White House as they try to pass off their blatant lies — or what they call alternative facts — as truth. White House Press Secretary and Communications Director, Sean Spicer, claimed in a recent press briefing that President Donald Trump “has been in contact with all parties involved” with DAPL. Shortly afterwards, Standing Rock Sioux Chairman, Dave Archambault II, posted a response on Facebook that that was ‘absolutely false.” The tribe only finally received a meeting the day after the easement to drill under Lake Oahe was issued, to which Archambault cancelled it and filed a lawsuit for the illegal expediting and suspending of the environmental impact study.
Spicer’s briefing also contradicts Trump’s claims almost two weeks ago that he didn’t find DAPL controversial and hasn’t received a single phone call. Of course, he hasn’t been taking any phone calls given that the comments line is down with only an automated message with instructions to submit your comment on the White House’s website.
At this point, does the Trump administration think they’re that clever to make anyone believe anything they say?
To top all of this off, ABC News revealed that two days before Trump approved of the easement, the US Department of Interior withdrew a 35-page legal analysis — written by the department’s top lawyer Hilary Tompkins — of the environmental risks and treaty rights violations of DAPL with more than enough justification to deny further construction.
Tompkins wrote that the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s “core identity and livelihood depend upon their relationship to the land and environment unlike a resident of Bismarck, who could simply relocate if the pipeline fouled the municipal water supply, Tribal members do not have the luxury of moving away from an environmental disaster without also leaving their ancestral territory.”
So not only is the Trump administration lying through their teeth about their involvement and active listening in this controversy, but they are also willing to throw away anything criticizing their biased personal interests as an attempt to avoid accountability, no matter how irrefutable it is.
The camps may be shut down, but the fight against DAPL is far from over. Protests continue nationwide urging major banks to divest from DAPL, and a Native Nations March is planned for March 10th in Washington DC and nationwide. Chase Iron Eyes with LPLP plans to rally support for the new lawsuits filed by the Standing Rock Sioux and Cheyenne River Sioux tribes.
Contact your representatives to support the fight against the Black Snake. Donate as the water protectors fight moves to D.C. 

mercoledì 4 gennaio 2017

The struggle of Native, to save their lands

Hanno perso la guerra contro la colonizzazione, ma non il loro spirito combattivo che li ha portati a vincere una battaglia in difesa dei loro territori. E alla fine, migliaia di membri della tribù di indiani Sioux di Standing Rock che si opponevano al passaggio di un oleodotto sul territorio della loro riserva, nel North Dakota, l’hanno spuntata. Almeno per ora. L’Esercito Usa, sotto la cui giurisdizione ricade parte della zona interessata, ha annunciato che non concederà decisione storica” per la quale, hanno dichiarato, saranno “per sempre grati” al presidente Barack Obama. Ma l’amministrazione Trump fa sapere: “Deciderà il presidente eletto”.
La loro rivendicazione ha dato vita a proteste e manifestazioni che sono arrivate fino a New York. Cortei e polizia, dunque, non più solo in Nord Dakota, sulle rive del Lago Oahe, dove a difesa dei Sioux sono arrivati i veterani, ma anche nel cuore della Grande Mela, quartier generale del neo presidente a cui i membri della tribù lanciano un avvertimento: “Donald Trump si prepari perché non daremo tregua”. L’oleodotto dovrebbe correre per quasi 2000 chilometri, attraversando quattro Stati per portare il Illinois. “La parte sottomarina del tracciato mette a rischio il bacino idrico delle comunità, senza contare la violazione di terreni e luoghi sacri Sioux”, spiega una dimostrante.
greggio alle raffinerie dell’
 Uno dei leader della protesta è Dave Archambault II, il capo sioux di Standing Rock, che contro la repressione ha chiesto aiuto a Barack Obama e all’Onu: “Questi sono i giorni dell’anniversario del Massacro di Sand Creek; è ora che gli Stati Uniti pongano fine ai loro abusi contro i nativi americani”. La partita non è chiusa e “sulla sua realizzazione si dovrà pronunciare l’amministrazione Trump”, ha fatto sapere il portavoce del presidente eletto, Jason Miller,
spiegando che Donald Trump una volta insediatosi alla Casa Bianca esaminerà la decisione presa da
Obama di negare il permesso per il progetto.